Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Make and share this My Moussaka recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggplants, halved and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (16 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons percorini romano cheese
- Brush eggplant with olive oil, salt & pepper and roast at 475 for 25 mins until soft. Set aside.
- Meat Sauce: Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add beef, oregano, allspice, cloves, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, and cinnamon, Cook for 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and cook until meat still pink, and then add tomatoes and garlic and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Custard Sauce: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, and whisk flour, salt, milk, and nutmeg.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil. Simmer two minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a bowl and cool.
- When sauce is cool, whisk in egg and yolks.
- Assemble the Moussaka. Lower the oven to 350.
- Brush a 9x13 dish with the olive oil.
- Scatter breadcrumbs over bottom of the dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the the eggplant, overlapping slices if necessary.
- Layer 1/2 of the meat sauce and smooth with a spatula.
- Repeat the other layer.
- Pour the custard sauce over the mixture and smooth again.
- Sprinkle with the romano cheese.
- Bake uncovered until brown and custard is set, about 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then serve with a spatula or spoon.