My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggplants, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons percorini romano cheese
- 1Brush eggplant with olive oil, salt & pepper and roast at 475 for 25 mins until soft. Set aside.
- 2Meat Sauce: Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
- 3Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 4Add beef, oregano, allspice, cloves, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, and cinnamon, Cook for 2 minutes.
- 5Lower heat to medium and cook until meat still pink, and then add tomatoes and garlic and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Custard Sauce: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 7Remove from heat, and whisk flour, salt, milk, and nutmeg.
- 8Return to heat and bring to a boil. Simmer two minutes.
- 9Transfer sauce to a bowl and cool.
- 10When sauce is cool, whisk in egg and yolks.
- 11Assemble the Moussaka. Lower the oven to 350.
- 12Brush a 9x13 dish with the olive oil.
- 13Scatter breadcrumbs over bottom of the dish.
- 14Layer 1/2 of the the eggplant, overlapping slices if necessary.
- 15Layer 1/2 of the meat sauce and smooth with a spatula.
- 16Repeat the other layer.
- 17Pour the custard sauce over the mixture and smooth again.
- 18Sprinkle with the romano cheese.
- 19Bake uncovered until brown and custard is set, about 1 hour.
- 20Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then serve with a spatula or spoon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.1
- Calories from Fat 474
- Total Fat 52.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 201.6 mg
- Sodium 1243.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 27.0 g