Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an unusual but extremely tasty potato bake, my family find it a welcome change from the usual creamy bake. Rich in colour and flavour, I often also add thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes to this, about 100g, which lends a nice tang. It comes from The Vegetarian Kitchen. NB no matter how I try, in the ingredient list, 'potatoes' is showing up as 'potato'.... its supposed to be plural! That would be one BIG potato!!
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400F/Gas 6.
- Cook the potatoes, in their skins, in plenty of boiling water, for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool slightly. Peel the potatoes and cut into thin slices.
- Brush the base and sides of a 1.5litre/2 ½ pint rectangular ovenproof dish, with some of the olive oil.
- Layer the potatoes in the dish with the rosemary, cheese and olives.
- Drizzle with olive oil and pour the stock into the dish.
- Season with salt and plenty of pepper.
- Bake for 35 minutes, covering the dish with foil part of the way through the cooking time to prevent the potatoes from getting too brown.
- Serve hot.
Wow, is this ever delicious! Even with only a quarter of the oil and fat free feta. We loved all the ingredients in it, especially the olives (I used Kalamata and Manzanilla) and (the optional) sun dried tomatoes. Tonight when we made this again, I added a caramelied onion as well. This was a favorite the first time I made it, and now I am upgrading it to my best of the year cookbook!
Everyone loved this dish! I admit I dotted it with 4 tablespoons butter before placing in the oven. Otherwise, made as directed. Loved the rosemary! Thanks, Karen Elizabeth! Made for Best of 2012 tag game as recommended by Maito.
*Made for Australia/New Zealand Swap #29*. This was entirely different from any other potato casserole I have prepared. Somehow, I felt that the addition of some grated cheese would be a welcome taste. I did thinly slice the raw potatoes and cover them with foil for 45 minutes in a 375* oven. Thanks for posting, karen Elizabeth.