Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Created for RSC #6. Spanakopita is one of my favorite dishes, and it's a recipe that just lends itself to so many variations. The possibilities are endless.
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, torn to bits
- 1 cup cashews, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Wilt the spinach in a saucepan over medium heat for one minute.
- Mix the spinach with the ground chicken breast.
- Add the eggs, crushed cashews, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Take one sheet of phyllo and brush it with olive oil.
- Repeat with 3 more sheets, brushing each one liberally with olive oil.
- Using 1/2 of the chicken/spinach mix, place it along the bottom of the phyllo sheets.
- Leave a 1/2 inch margin on each side.
- Fold the two sides in so nothing will leak out, and begin to roll the sheets up away from you.
- Repeat this process with the other 4 sheets and the other half of the chicken/spinach mix.
- Bend each roll to form a wide crescent, and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Brush each crescent liberally with the olive oil.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- If it looks like the dough is browning too quickly, cover it with a sheet of silver foil.
- Remove from the oven when done, and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- Can be served as both an appetizer or as a main course.
- Servings are for an appetizer.
This was surprisingly easy to put together. The baked roll also held together well and sliced beautifully. DH thought it looked a little dry, but it wasn’t. The flavor was nice, but a tiny bit more seasoning could be added if wanted. I used a 10 oz box of frozen spinach to make this recipe instead of the fresh as that was what I had on hand. I thought the ratio of spinach could be decreased a little. I also didn’t care much for the soggy texture of the cashews. But they were cooked, so I knew what was coming. LOL Thank you Chef for sharing your recipe!!