Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Created for RSC #6. Spanakopita is one of my favorite dishes, and it's a recipe that just lends itself to so many variations. The possibilities are endless.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Wilt the spinach in a saucepan over medium heat for one minute.
- Mix the spinach with the ground chicken breast.
- Add the eggs, crushed cashews, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Take one sheet of phyllo and brush it with olive oil.
- Repeat with 3 more sheets, brushing each one liberally with olive oil.
- Using 1/2 of the chicken/spinach mix, place it along the bottom of the phyllo sheets.
- Leave a 1/2 inch margin on each side.
- Fold the two sides in so nothing will leak out, and begin to roll the sheets up away from you.
- Repeat this process with the other 4 sheets and the other half of the chicken/spinach mix.
- Bend each roll to form a wide crescent, and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Brush each crescent liberally with the olive oil.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- If it looks like the dough is browning too quickly, cover it with a sheet of silver foil.
- Remove from the oven when done, and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve.
- Can be served as both an appetizer or as a main course.
- Servings are for an appetizer.