1/8 Photos of Octopus Grilled Very Tender
2 hrs 20 mins
This can be served as a salad without grilling, but I highly suggest the grilling bring to an other level of goodness. The 8 tentacles and the body to which they're attached are edible. A note about octopus: Octopus loses a lot of its volume during cooking, so expect the finished dish will be quite less than the original quantity. If the octopus has not been cleaned: Under running water, remove and discard the ink sac, stomach, and eyes from the large head cavity. Remove the beak, at the bottom of the head where it joins the tentacles, with a sharp knife. Picking Fresh Octopus Fresh octopus is flexible with firm and non-slippery suckers. Picking with well-shaped bodies and suckers and avoid the fishy or smelly ones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -16 baby octopus (fresh or frozen defrosted Cleaned To clean see above)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 bulb of garlic (Cut crosswise in 1/2)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1Heat a large dry pot on medium-high heat and flash sear the octopi to release the juices, about 1 minute.
- 2Cover with a lid, turn the heat down to simmer, and cook the octopi for about 45 minutes.
- 3Add the onion, carrot, bay leaves, garlic, red wine vinegar, water, oregano, parsley stems and peppercorns and place a weight on on top of the octopi so that they stay immersed in the liquid.
- 4Bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- 5Then lower to a gently simmer until the octopi are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 6Swish the octopus legs around with the tongs to remove the dark reddish membranes.
- 7Drain the octopi, discarding the cooking liquid, and cool to room temperature.
- 9Put the garlic, balsamic vinegar, pepper sauce, and shallot in a small saucepan on medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- 10Lower heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- 11Cool the vinegar mixture.
- 12Put the cooled vinegar mixture, capers, and parsley in a large bowl and whisk in the olive oil until incorporated.
- 13Taste to adjust the seasoning and add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Remove 1/3 of the vinaigrette and reserve for after grilling.
- 14Add octopi to bowl and toss marinade overnight.
- 15Preheat grill on high.
- 16Grill the octopi for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side and serve with the reserved vinaigrette.
- 17Pour over the octopus and serve.
Browse Our Top Octopus Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Octopus Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Octopus Grilled Very Tender
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.3
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 55.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white balsamic vinegar