Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A classic Greek inspired dish.
Make and share this Oktapodi Toursi (Pickled Octopus) recipe from Food.com.
- Prepare and wash the octopus.
- Place the head and tentacles in a pan with 6-8tbsp water, cover and simmer for 60 to 75 minutes until it is tender.
- Test it with a skewer.
- Drain off any remaining liquid and set aside to cool.
- Cut the flesh into 1/2" strips and pack them loosely into a screw-topped jar.
- Mix enough oil and vinegar to fill the jar- the exact amount will depend on the relative volumes of the seafood and the container- stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- If you are using dried thyme, mix it with the liquid at this stage.
- Pour it over the octopus, making sure that every last piece is completely immersed.
- If you are using thyme stalks, push them into the jar.
- Cover the jar and set it aside for at least 4-5 days before using.
- To serve, drain the octopus and serve it on small individual plates or saucers with the lemon wedges.
- Cubes of at least one-day old bread, speared on cocktail sticks, are the usual accompaniment.