A classic Greek inspired dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare and wash the octopus.
- 2Place the head and tentacles in a pan with 6-8tbsp water, cover and simmer for 60 to 75 minutes until it is tender.
- 3Test it with a skewer.
- 4Drain off any remaining liquid and set aside to cool.
- 5Cut the flesh into 1/2" strips and pack them loosely into a screw-topped jar.
- 6Mix enough oil and vinegar to fill the jar- the exact amount will depend on the relative volumes of the seafood and the container- stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- 7If you are using dried thyme, mix it with the liquid at this stage.
- 8Pour it over the octopus, making sure that every last piece is completely immersed.
- 9If you are using thyme stalks, push them into the jar.
- 10Cover the jar and set it aside for at least 4-5 days before using.
- 11To serve, drain the octopus and serve it on small individual plates or saucers with the lemon wedges.
- 12Cubes of at least one-day old bread, speared on cocktail sticks, are the usual accompaniment.
Browse Our Top Octopus Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oktapodi Toursi (Pickled Octopus)
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.7
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Sodium 294.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 19.1 g