Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very moist, very sweet cake. I like it a lot with coffee. UPDATE: I have corrected the recipe, and the batter now contains 1 cup of sugar. Thanks to Cookgirl for catching my mistake, and my apologies to anyone who might have been inconvenienced. :o
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (I use fresh-squeezed)
For the syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 pieces orange peel
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour a 9x13 cake pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients (the first five listed).
- Beat together the eggs and sugar until foamy. Add the butter, grated orange peel, and vanilla.
- Add yogurt, juice, and dry ingredients to the egg mixture gradually.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the cake is firm and golden.
- Combine all syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and bring quickly to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool, and remove the cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- Poke holes into the top of the cake and pour the syrup over it while the cake is still warm. It's going to seem like an awful lot of syrup, but keep pouring!
- I think this cake tastes best when it's completely cooled, so try to wait a while before eating.