1 hr 15 mins
Aunt Cookie's Note:
This is a very moist, very sweet cake. I like it a lot with coffee. UPDATE: I have corrected the recipe, and the batter now contains 1 cup of sugar. Thanks to Cookgirl for catching my mistake, and my apologies to anyone who might have been inconvenienced. :o
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup orange juice (I use fresh-squeezed)
For the syrup
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour a 9x13 cake pan.
- 2Combine the dry ingredients (the first five listed).
- 3Beat together the eggs and sugar until foamy. Add the butter, grated orange peel, and vanilla.
- 4Add yogurt, juice, and dry ingredients to the egg mixture gradually.
- 5Bake for 45 minutes, until the cake is firm and golden.
- 6Combine all syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and bring quickly to a boil.
- 7Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Allow to cool, and remove the cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- 9Poke holes into the top of the cake and pour the syrup over it while the cake is still warm. It's going to seem like an awful lot of syrup, but keep pouring!
- 10I think this cake tastes best when it's completely cooled, so try to wait a while before eating.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Yogurt Cake
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 50.7 mg
- Sodium 226.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 22.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: