Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The presentation of this dessert really makes this dessert look wonderful. This recipe was posted for Zaar World Tour II. Recipe adapted from Gourmet Mediterranean.
- 6 large pears, cored and peeled but stems intact
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 sheet puff pastry, cut into 6 rectangles
- 1 egg, lightly beaten together with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel seed, pepper, raisins,ouzo & butter. Stuff a little of the spice mixture into each pear, pressing it inches.
- Cut each rectangle of puff pastry into an "X" shape. Place pear in center of each "X" and bring up the sides and wrap, overlapping and sealing with a little water.
- Shape leaves out of left-over pastry and adhere to pears with a little water.
- Brush with egg wash and bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
I had high hopes for this recipe...it was quite easy, and looked pretty fancy, but I just didn't like them much...I'd like to hear others reviews on this...The alcohol in the ouzo didn't really burn off, and left a bitter flavor. I used really wonderful Comice Pears and somehow they were less sweet after cooking, even with the added sugar. Just not sure about this one...
Was delish! The only problem was the puff pastry was not enough. I do suggest using a square of the pastry and bring it up and around the pear so it is completely enclosed. Following the directions above the 2 strips which I rolled out left pear showing. I did add the butter to the filling as that was not in the directions?! My DH got to the center expecting seeds and found raisins! A nice surprise for all! I am rating this 5 stars because it is really good and would have given it 10 stars. Just take note of the butter and do use more puff pastry. ;)!