1/3 Photos of Pantespani - Greek Sponge Cake With Orange
1 hr 10 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Pantespani is a traditional light sponge cake, soaked in a light syrup. It can be served as is, with toppings such as whipped cream and strawberries (similar to strawberry shortcake), with some toasted almonds, or other toppings of your choice, and without the syrup as any other sponge cake. The tastes of orange, cloves, and cinnamon give it a lovely taste and fabulous aroma. Adapted from a recipe by Nancy Gaifyllia. Time to make doesn't include syrup cooling time. ZWT 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CAKE
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons of grated orange peel
- 2/3 cup water
FOR THE BAKING PAN
FOR THE SYRUP
- 1In a saucepan, combine all syrup ingredients except the orange juice and orange flower water, and bring to a boil. Boil for 7-8 minutes. Stir in orange juice and prange flower water, remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 340°F (170°C)
- 3Beat egg whites, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the salt to stiff peak stage.
- 4In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and slowly beat in all remaining ingredients.
- 5Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, and when all ingredients have mixed in, beat for 3-4 minutes.
- 6With a spatula, gently fold in the egg whites until well blended.
- 7Lightly grease bottom and sides of a 15 3/4 X 12 inch (or equivalent) pan with the margarine, dust with flour, and transfer cake batter to the pan.
- 8Bake at 340°F (170°C) for 55-60 minutes, until a knife inserted into the middle comes out dry. The top should be a dark gold color.
- 9As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, cut into squares or diamonds. Discard the cloves and cinnamon stick and pour the cooled syrup evenly over the top. Allow to cool and absorb the syrup before serving.
- 10Note: Do not open the oven during baking except to test for doneness.
- 11(Greek pan cakes are baked in pans that are often larger than baking pans used in other countries. The 15 3/4 X 12 inch pan may be available in your market as a roasting pan.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pantespani - Greek Sponge Cake With Orange
Serving Size: 1 (2154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3795.6
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 1269.0 mg
- Sodium 3770.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 823.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 609.5 g
- Protein 63.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water