1/1 Photo of Papoutsakia - Little Shoes (Stuffed Miniature Eggplant)
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is a classic Greek dish, utilizing the little eggplant one can now find on the market. If you cannot find miniature eggplant, just use the longish ones available (not flask - unless VERY small).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup grated kefalotiri or 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 2 1/4 lbs small eggplants (about 12)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1Brown onions,garlic, meat and cinnamon lightly in butter, stirring constantly.
- 2Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- 3Cook covered for about 15 minutes, allowing meat mixture to become quite dry.
- 4Remove from heat.
- 5Add parsley, egg, 1/2 cup cheese and bread crumbs.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Along what you choose to become the'top' of each eggplant, peel a 1 1/2 inch strip from one end to the other and make an incision along the strip to within an inch of each end, making a little pocket.
- 8Place in baking dish and bake in moderate oven until soft and light brown, about 30-45 minutes.
- 9Insert knife blade into incision, make an opening and stuff with teaspoonfuls of meat mixture, making sure each little eggplant gets an equal amount of stuffing.
- 10Prepare bechamel sauce: Melt butter over low heat; add flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir until well blended.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12Gradually stir in milk and return to heat.
- 13Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth.
- 14Remove from heat.
- 15Add the egg and remaining cheese to the sauce and whisk briskly, to prevent the egg from curdling.
- 16Pour about one tablespoon on top of each eggplant pocket.
- 17Sprinkle with additional grated cheese and dot with butter.
- 18Add tomato sauce to the pan.
- 19Bake for about 35 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Papoutsakia - Little Shoes (Stuffed Miniature Eggplant)
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.0
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 154.7 mg
- Sodium 1525.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: