Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Any macaroni may be used as long as it's short, thick and cylindrical like rigatoni.
Make and share this Paragemista Makaronia (Stuffed Rigatoni) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mizithra cheese
- 1 cup grated kasseri cheese
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely ground
- 2 -3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (NOT sour)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb rigatoni pasta
- grated kefalotiri, to taste
- In a bowl, mash together the pheta, mizithra, kaseri, walnuts, and cream.
- Mix well by kneading, cover and set aside.
- Salt and pepper ground beef to taste, and saute in olive oil until meat is dry.
- When dry cover well with red wine and set aside.
- In a pan, melt butter to sizzling point.
- Add tomato paste, oregano and 2 cups water, and simmer until sauce is half thickened.
- Add the ground beef to the tomato sauce.
- Continue to simmer covered until sauce is thickened.
- Cover and set aside (Keep hot).
- Put salt, olive oil and water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Add rigatoni; boil 10-15 minutes (must be under-done).
- Drain well and spread on a cloth.
- Slice open each macaroni and about a tsp of the cheese mixture on it, then roll it like a cigarette.
- As the macaronies are stuffed and rolled, carefully place them side by side in a baking pan until pan is filled.
- Spread meat sauce over the pasta, and cover all generously with kephalotiri.
- Bake at about 350F for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.