Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Any macaroni may be used as long as it's short, thick and cylindrical like rigatoni.
Make and share this Paragemista Makaronia (Stuffed Rigatoni) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mizithra cheese
- 1 cup grated kasseri cheese
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely ground
- 2 -3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (NOT sour)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb rigatoni pasta
- grated kefalotiri, to taste
- In a bowl, mash together the pheta, mizithra, kaseri, walnuts, and cream.
- Mix well by kneading, cover and set aside.
- Salt and pepper ground beef to taste, and saute in olive oil until meat is dry.
- When dry cover well with red wine and set aside.
- In a pan, melt butter to sizzling point.
- Add tomato paste, oregano and 2 cups water, and simmer until sauce is half thickened.
- Add the ground beef to the tomato sauce.
- Continue to simmer covered until sauce is thickened.
- Cover and set aside (Keep hot).
- Put salt, olive oil and water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Add rigatoni; boil 10-15 minutes (must be under-done).
- Drain well and spread on a cloth.
- Slice open each macaroni and about a tsp of the cheese mixture on it, then roll it like a cigarette.
- As the macaronies are stuffed and rolled, carefully place them side by side in a baking pan until pan is filled.
- Spread meat sauce over the pasta, and cover all generously with kephalotiri.
- Bake at about 350F for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.