Any macaroni may be used as long as it's short, thick and cylindrical like rigatoni.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb feta cheese
- 1/2 lb fresh mizithra cheese
- 1 cup grated kasseri cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely ground
- 2 -3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine (NOT sour)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 -4 quarts water
- 1/2 lb rigatoni pasta
- grated kefalotiri, to taste
- 1In a bowl, mash together the pheta, mizithra, kaseri, walnuts, and cream.
- 2Mix well by kneading, cover and set aside.
- 3Salt and pepper ground beef to taste, and saute in olive oil until meat is dry.
- 4When dry cover well with red wine and set aside.
- 5In a pan, melt butter to sizzling point.
- 6Add tomato paste, oregano and 2 cups water, and simmer until sauce is half thickened.
- 7Add the ground beef to the tomato sauce.
- 8Continue to simmer covered until sauce is thickened.
- 9Cover and set aside (Keep hot).
- 10Put salt, olive oil and water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- 11Add rigatoni; boil 10-15 minutes (must be under-done).
- 12Drain well and spread on a cloth.
- 13Slice open each macaroni and about a tsp of the cheese mixture on it, then roll it like a cigarette.
- 14As the macaronies are stuffed and rolled, carefully place them side by side in a baking pan until pan is filled.
- 15Spread meat sauce over the pasta, and cover all generously with kephalotiri.
- 16Bake at about 350F for 20-30 minutes.
- 17Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paragemista Makaronia (Stuffed Rigatoni)
Serving Size: 1 (768 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.1
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 139.1 mg
- Sodium 1342.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 26.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: