Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
The original name of this recipe was, "Set passion fruit tzatziki with olive oil ice-cream and chocolate baklava cigar." It was found at Australian Gourmet Traveller online. This recipe was created by George Calombaris, The Press Club. This is a 3 part recipe, the passion fruit "tzatziki", the olive oil ice-cream and the chocolate baklava "cigar." Here is the accompanying recipe for Bourekakia Sokolatas - Chocolate Baklava Cigar. Prep time is a guess, Cook/Freeze time includes chill time but the freeze time depends on your ice cream machine. "Note: The Press Club uses Spanish earthenware dishes available from The Essential Ingredient."
- 500 g natural thick yogurt
- 250 ml passion fruit pulp
- 80 g icing sugar, sieved
- 2 leaves gelatin, softened in cold water (gold strength)
Olive oil ice-cream
- 375 ml milk
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 4 egg yolks
- 160 g white sugar
- 125 ml olive oil
- 2 baby fennel bulbs
- 150 g white sugar
- For olive oil ice-cream, combine milk, 80 ml cream (1/3 cup) and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then remove from heat and stand for 1 hour.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick, then strain milk mixture, discarding solids, and add to egg yolks, whisking to combine.
- Return mixture to a clean saucepan and stir over low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, then cool and stir in olive oil.
- Whisk remaining cream to soft peaks and fold through egg yolk mixture. Churn mixture in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Makes about 1 litre.
- For candied fennel, finely shave fennel using a mandoline and combine in a saucepan with sugar and 150ml water.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, increase heat to medium-high and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Set aside.
- For tzatziki, whisk yogurt, passion fruit and icing sugar until combined. Transfer to a saucepan and stir over medium heat to warm through. Squeeze excess water from gelatin, add to mixture and stir until dissolved. Strain fennel from syrup and divide among six ½ cup-capacity shallow dishes (see note), pour tzatziki on top to fill, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set.
- To serve, place a scoop of ice-cream on each dish of set tzatziki and serve with a cigar.