Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Not exactly Greek - not exactly Italian - from Pasta Quick & Easy! Prepare in advance, put in the oven after work, make a salad & you've got dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) can anchovies, drained & chopped
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces fusilli or 8 ounces other short pasta, shapes
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- SAUCE: Heat oil in large skillet; cook onion& pepper for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir& cook for 1 more minute.
- Add beef& cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink- about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes& wine; bring to a boil, lower heat& simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until sauce is fairly thick.
- Stir in parsley& anchovies; season to taste.
- PASTA: Cook in boiling salted water for 8- 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain& transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in the cream& set aside.
- TOPPING: Beat yoghurt, eggs& nutmeg until well combined; season to taste.
- ASSEMBLY: Brush a large, shallow ovenproof dish with oil (or spray with Pam).
- Spoon in 1/2 the pasta mixture& cover with 1/2 the meat mixture.
- Repeat these 2 layers.
- Spread the topping over the final layer& sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- COOKING: Bake in preheated 375F oven for 25 minutes or until the topping is golden brown& bubbling.
this is quick and easy, but a bit bland for our taste. i also found that while the topping cooked up well the inside was a bit watery, we prefer our sauce a bit thicker.
This is a fantastic base dish. I added 3 tsp of cornflour because of the last reviewer, as well as 4 carrots, 100g mushrooms, 1 green pepper, 1 tsp cayenne pepper. Very nice. I used sour cream instead of full cream - it was ok, but I don't recommend it :-) I'm not going to add stars because I made so many additions but it was a great base dish. I think I'll add even more veggies next time - maybe sweet potato and broccoli. If I wasn't weight conscious right now I would quadruple the cheese - it was nice the way it was but would have been purely indulgent with extra cheese. After all that rambling - in conclusion, this is a great base recipe but in my opinion needs adjustments to whatever your taste is.