1/1 Photo of Pasticcio -- Baked Pasta (Greece)
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe comes from the 2002 cookbook, Mediterranean Street Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan melt 4 tablespoons butter & whisk in the flour.
- 2When flour is completely incorporated, gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Keep whisking until milk comes to a boil, then simmer for 2-3 minutes & remove it from the heat.
- 3Stir in nutmeg, salt & pepper to taste, & add 1/3 of the cheese.
- 4Let this sauce cool until just warm, then stir in the beaten egg yolks & set aside.
- 5Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add salt & pasta & cook for 2 MINUTES LESS than the package instructions indicate, so that the pasta is very al dente, as it will continue cooking in the oven.
- 6Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & butter the inside of a 13"x9" baking dish.
- 7When pasta is done, drain it & toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, then spread half of the pasta in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour half of the sauce over it & sprinkle half of the remaining cheese over that. Repeat layering with the remaining pasta, then the rest of the sauce & finally the cheese.
- 8Place the baking dish on the oven's middle rack & bake 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- 9Great when served warm or at room temperature with a fresh green salad.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasticcio -- Baked Pasta (Greece)
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.9
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 105.6 mg
- Sodium 103.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: