3 hrs 40 mins
The long, slow cooking results in one heck of a sauce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless veal shoulder, in one piece,rolled and tied (or beef)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches long)
- 5 allspice berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) cans whole tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 2Rub veal with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper.
- 3Make shallow incisions all over meat and insert thin slices of garlic, using about half.
- 4Heat 3 tblsps olive oil over medium-high heat until rippling; add meat and sear on all sides.
- 5Add remaining garlic, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf.
- 6Reduce heat to very low.
- 7Cook, covered, 10 minutes, shaking casserole 2 or 3 times to prevent sticking.
- 8Add wine and vinegar, increase heat to high.
- 9Heat to boiling, then remove from heat.
- 10Cover casserole tightly with foil; place lid securely over foil.
- 11Bake 30 minutes.
- 12Carefully remove lid and foil; turn meat with wooden spoons so as not to pierce; replace foil and lid; bake 30 minutes longer.
- 13Heat remaining 3 tblsps oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until rippling.
- 14Stir in onion; reduce heat to medium.
- 15Saute until onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- 16Stir in tomatoes, ½ tsp salt, sugar, 1/8 tsp pepper and cayenne.
- 17Reduce heat to low.
- 18Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, 20 minutes.
- 19Remove casserole from oven and increase oven temperature to 375F.
- 20Pour sauce over meat; replace foil and lid.
- 21Bake 3-4 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- 22Remove casserole from oven.
- 23Transfer meat to heatproof platter, cover with foil to keep warm.
- 24Remove and discard bay leaf, cinnamon, allspice and cloves from sauce.
- 25Let sauce stand a few minutes; degrease.
- 26Use a small amount of the fat removed from the sauce to grease a wide, shallow, 4-quart baking dish.
- 27Cook pasta until al dente.
- 28While pasta cooks, put butter into a small saucepan and melt over medium-low heat.
- 29Let butter brown.
- 30This is knows as beurre noisette.
- 31It should be very fragrant.
- 32Add browned butter to pasta along with half of grated cheese.
- 33Toss to coat.
- 34Add 2 cups of tomato sauce and toss again; turn into baking dish.
- 35Until veal roll and cut into ½ inch slices.
- 36Arrange in overlapping row over pasta.
- 37Pour remaining sauce over all.
- 38Bake, covered with foil, 10 minutes.
- 39Uncover, bake 10 minutes longer.
- 40Sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastitsada (Beef in Tomato Sauce from Corfu)
Serving Size: 1 (667 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 894.7
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 244.7 mg
- Sodium 573.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 63.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: