Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A greek Lasagna.This is a family favourite. Can be made ahead; refrigerated. Before serving heat in microwave 20 minures #7; Set under broiler for 5 minutes.
- 1 cup macaroni
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cook macaroni in a large amount of boiling salted water till just tender; drain.
- Combine cooked macaroni, 1 beaten egg,cottage cheese1/4 cup parmesan cheese,set aside.
- In skillet cook ground beef and onion till meat is browned and onion is tender; drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and oregano; set aside.
- For sauce,in saucepan melt butter; stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the milk and chicken broth all at once; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- Place half of the macaroni mixture in an 8x8x2 inch baking dish.
- Spoon the meat mixture atop; add the remaining macaroni mixture.
- Spread the sauce over all. Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
LOVE IT! Made exactly by the directions.
This is a very good recipe. I forgot to put in the cottage cheese, only realised it when it was in the oven for a few seconds. Oops! I liked it a lot anyway. My husband said he would like it again but with less cinnamon. I didn't think the cinnamon was too much, but if you are someone not used to cinnamon/meat combination or have picky children, you might want to use a little less.
I thought this was good and had good flavor, was easy to make, and well worth the effort. However, I think that 1/2 to 3/4 of the bechamel sauce would have been enough -- that part was a bit overwhelming, in my opinion. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT4.