This is a very good recipe, my family really likes it. It's from a 1980 edition of Better Homes and Gardens All-TIme Favorite Hamburger and Ground Meat Recipes cookbook. Typed here for future reference, as I am always misplacing the cookbook! I usually double the bechamel sauce, since we like it that way.
- 6 ounces elbow macaroni (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- For the pasta, cook macaroni until just done, drain. Add one beaten egg, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup milk. Mix and set aside.
- For the meat sauce, cook the meat and onion in a skillet until the meat is brown, drain off the fat. Add tomato sauce, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan. Add in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the milk slowly and cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and stir a small amount of the hot mixture into one beaten egg, return that mixture to the rest of the sauce in the pan. Add the 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
- To assemble, put half the macaroni into an 8 x 8 inch square pan. Add the meat sauce next, then the rest of the macaroni on top of that. Add the sauce over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Very, very nice! This is almost exactly like my old family recipe, with a perfect blend of spices. I really love that it includes what in our estimation is a requirement - freshly grated nutmeg. I didn't find it needed additional béchamel sauce, as it's not supposed to be runny. It was perfect as written. Thanks so much for posting!
I halved the recipe, but kept the same amount of bechamel, I do love a creamy sauce! I adore nutmeg and cinnamon, the flavour and the delicate aroma, love the use of those spices in pastitsio. This was very easy to prepare, I made the meat sauce in advance and finsihed the actual dish quite quickly, making for a superb dinner. DH loved it and I note I was NOT given the leftovers for lunch, ha ha!!! Lovely recipe, made for ZWT9, Pink Panthers On The Prowl, thank you teammate!
We liked this! It couldn't have been simpler to make and I loved the cinnamon and nutmeg, although in my opinion the cinnamon flavor was a bit overpowering. I'd cut it by half. Made for ZWT9