1/5 Photos of Pastitsio
1 hr 15 mins
Pastitsio is a traditional Greek dish made with ground beef, pasta, and a thick bechamel (cream) sauce. Here is our version which omits the sweet spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon that traditionally go in this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning or 1 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced kalamata olives (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes or 1 cup sliced roasted red pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine or 1/4 cup red wine
- 12 ounces ziti pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1MEAT LAYER: Preheat oven to 350°F Melt butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add onion and garlic and saute' for 2-3 minutes. Add beef and seasonings. When meat is cooked thru, drain off fat, return to pan and add the olives, tomatoes, and white wine. Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2PASTA: Cook pasta according to package directions. Mix remaining pasta ingredients and place in a large bowl. When pasta is cooked, drain and immediately stir into the large bowl, mixing well.
- 3BECHAMEL SAUCE: In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, melt butter. Add flour, salt, black pepper, and dry ground mustard. Stir for about 1 minute. Slowly wisk in half and half and chicken stock to incorporate. Stir constantly till thickened (about 5 minutes).
- 4Remove from heat. Add a little of the bechamel to the egg to temper it, then wisk egg mixture back into pot and add the parmesan cheese. Stir until well blended.
- 5ASSEMBLY: To a large loaf pan or a deep oven-proof casserole pan (10"), place half the pasta mixture. Pour 1 cup of the bechamel sauce over top. then place meat layer over top of that. Top that with another cup of the bechamel.
- 6Place remaining pasta over that, then the remaining bechamel. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow to set for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.3
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 159.4 mg
- Sodium 1400.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 28.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: