Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Serve with Greek salad and lots of chilled retsina wine.
Make and share this Pastitsio recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- white pepper
- 4 -6 egg yolks
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained (2 cups raw)
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups kefalotyri or 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 1 oz of butter in large skillet and saute onion til soft and transparent. Add the meat, cook until browned.
- Mix tomato paste with wine and add to meat. Continue cooking, adding nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
- Cook about 15 minutes, take off heat, cool and mix in half the breadcrumbs and half the grated cheese. Set aside. Do not allow meat to "bulk", keep it separated.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water with oil til soft. Drain and set aside. Make crema: melt butter, add flour, cook briefly stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk stirring constantly until it starts to boil and thickens slightly.
- Add seasonings.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
- Add about 1 cup of the hot sauce to the eggs, stirring constantly.
- Add the egg mixture back into the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. To Assemble: Grease a baking dish (LIKE A LASAGNA PAN) and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs.
- Spread half the cooked pasta over the bottom of the dish and sprinkle it with 1/4 cup reserved cheese. Spread all of the meat over the pasta.
- Pour half the sauce over the meat and spread the rest of the pasta over it. Sprinkle it with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on top and smooth with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and breadcrumbs and bake in the preheated oven 50-60 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
This is one of my favourite pastitsio recipes. I have a very similar one by Anne Theoharous, which is so lengthy in preparation. Everyone always asks me for this recipe. This recipe goes very well with a tomato salad in a Greek dressing. Thanks for sharing!!
I have never had this dish so I had nothing to compare it to. But we all enjoyed it. It was alot of work cleanup wise..LOL Thanks
I made this the other night for my boyfriend and we both really loved it. I added a few vegetables into it: zucchini, bell pepper and mushrooms. The spices were delicious, just like at the Greek restaurant. Thanks for submitting this recipe.