2 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Barbara Heller's Note:
Serve with Greek salad and lots of chilled retsina wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- white pepper
- 4 -6 egg yolks
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained (2 cups raw)
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups kefalotyri or 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Melt 1 oz of butter in large skillet and saute onion til soft and transparent. Add the meat, cook until browned.
- 3Mix tomato paste with wine and add to meat. Continue cooking, adding nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cinnamon.
- 4Cook about 15 minutes, take off heat, cool and mix in half the breadcrumbs and half the grated cheese. Set aside. Do not allow meat to "bulk", keep it separated.
- 5Cook the macaroni in boiling water with oil til soft. Drain and set aside. Make crema: melt butter, add flour, cook briefly stirring constantly.
- 6Gradually add milk stirring constantly until it starts to boil and thickens slightly.
- 7Add seasonings.
- 8In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
- 9Add about 1 cup of the hot sauce to the eggs, stirring constantly.
- 10Add the egg mixture back into the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- 11Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. To Assemble: Grease a baking dish (LIKE A LASAGNA PAN) and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs.
- 12Spread half the cooked pasta over the bottom of the dish and sprinkle it with 1/4 cup reserved cheese. Spread all of the meat over the pasta.
- 13Pour half the sauce over the meat and spread the rest of the pasta over it. Sprinkle it with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- 14Pour the rest of the sauce on top and smooth with a spatula.
- 15Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and breadcrumbs and bake in the preheated oven 50-60 minutes.
- 16Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.4
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 196.0 mg
- Sodium 330.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 27.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: