1 hr 25 mins
This is a fantastic Pastitsio recipe I created from the best of several recipes. It is lower in fat since it uses ground turkey. I often multiply the recipe by four and then freeze three of them...only freezing the bottom two layers. Then I make the sauce fresh before I bake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1/8 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1Grease a 8" x 8" baking dish (or any smaller casserole dish).
- 2Add the pasta to a large pan of boiling water; boil, uncovered, until just tender; drain.
- 3Combine the hot pasta, eggs and cheese in a large bowl; mix well.
- 4Press into casserole dish.
- 5To make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and ground turkey and cook, stirring, until the meat is well browned.
- 6Stir in the tomato puree, beef stock, wine, and spices; simmer uncovered until thick; cool.
- 7Stir in the egg.
- 8Layer on top of pasta layer in casserole dish.
- 9Stop here to freeze or continue to bake and eat immediately.
- 10To make the topping, melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour.
- 11Stir over low heat until bubbling.
- 12Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- 13Stir over low heat until the sauce boils and thickens.
- 14Stir in the cheese and cool slightly.
- 15Stir in the egg yolks.
- 16Pour sauce over the meat layer and smooth the surface.
- 17Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- 18Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 19Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 20You can also freeze it at this point and just reheat the entire dish in the oven.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastitsio for Two
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1144.2
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 529.4 mg
- Sodium 1305.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 71.9 g