1 hr 45 mins
One of my favourite Greek dishes is pastitsio, which was introduced to me by my sister, who lives in Greece. She doesn't have any particular recipe that she follows so I had to look for a version that was close to hers, having watched once while she prepared it. This one from Easy Greek-Style Cookery is the closest to hers in taste and ingredients used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 3/4 cups tomato puree
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- 2Add the pasta to a large pan of boiling water; boil, uncovered, until just tender; drain.
- 3Combine the hot pasta, eggs and cheese in a large bowl; mix well.
- 4Put to one side.
- 5To make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and ground beef and cook, stirring, until the meat is well browned.
- 6Stir in the tomato puree, tomato paste, beef stock, wine and cinnamon; simmer uncovered until thick; cool.
- 7Stir in the egg.
- 8To make the topping, melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour.
- 9Stir over low heat until bubbling.
- 10Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- 11Stir over low heat until the sauce boils and thickens.
- 12Stir in the cheese and cool slightly.
- 13Stir in the egg yolks.
- 14To assemble, press the pasta over the base of the prepared baking dish.
- 15Top the pasta evenly with the meat sauce, pour over the topping and smooth the surface.
- 16Sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- 17Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour or until lightly browned.
- 18Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastitsio Just Like My Sister's
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 901.9
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 321.8 mg
- Sodium 929.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 47.6 g