1 hr 50 mins
Make certain you have a large 10-inch deep-dish pie plate for this! You can also make this in a baking dish. The complete recipe can be prepared and layered in a pie plate, then refrigerated for up a day in advance (even better to let the flavors in the sauce blend together!) then baked the next day, just let sit out at room temperature for 45 minutes before baking. To save time make the meat sauce up to 2 days in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked macaroni (macaroni should measure 2 cups after cooking)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Great a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- 3In a skillet melt butter over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, oregano and dryed red chili flakes (if using) saute for about 3 minutes.
- 4Add in ground beef; cook for about 7-10 minutes or until beef is longer pink.
- 5Add in 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, season with seasoning salt and pepper; drain off fat.
- 6Stir in the stewed tomatoes, tomato paste; simmer for about 25-30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Add in chopped fresh parsley; set aside.
- 8TO MAKE WHITE SAUCE; in a heavy saucepan melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour and cook whisking for about 2 minutes (do not brown!).
- 9Gradually add in the half and half cream and a pinch of cayenne pepper; cook whisking for about 3 minutes or until thickened and smooth; remove from heat and add in the creamed cottage cheese, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper; mix well to combine.
- 10Generously butter the pie plate and sprinkle about 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs in the bottom.
- 11Top with HALF of the cooked macaroni pasta.
- 12Spread all of the meat mixture evenly over top, pressing down slightly.
- 13Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 14Spoon the remaining macaroni over the top of the Parmesan.
- 15Carefully pour ALL of the white sauce over the top of the macaroni.
- 16Sprinkle about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese on top (or to taste).
- 17Place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
- 18Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until golden.
- 19Let sit for about 15 minutes or longer before slicing (the longer you leave it sit the easier it will be to slice!).
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastitsio Pie
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.8
- Calories from Fat 317
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 174.1 mg
- Sodium 1025.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: