A Greek delight. I love pastitso. It's kind of like a Greek lasagne. This recipe takes some time, but it is well worth it! Enjoy. :)
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 tablespoon salt (I use Kosher)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- Brown onion in the butter then add the meat. Keep stirring until the meat is browned.
- Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, tomato paste and water. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and allow this to cool.
- Beat 1 egg very well and add it to the meat mixture.
- Cook the macaroni as per the package directions. Then rinse under hot water, drain and put into a large bowl.
- Toss the macaroni with the 3 beaten eggs and the 1 3/4°C grated Romano cheese.
- White Sauce:.
- Melt the butter and add the flour, mix well. This should be done on med-low heat, so you don't burn the butter.
- Gradually add the cold milk, stirring well. Cook this until it's thick, stirring often. Be patient, it needs to thicken up! Remove from heat.
- After about 5 minutes, while sauce is cooling, beat the 5 egg yolks very well and blend into the sauce. Add the cheese and mix.
- Butter a 10" x 14" pan. Put 1/2 of macaroni mix in pan. put meat mixture over the macaroni, spreading evenly. Put the rest of the macaroni mixture on top, also spreading evenly.
- Put white sauce all over the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for about 45 minutes or until golden brown (you might need to tent it with alum. foil towards the end of cooking).