1/3 Photos of Pastitso (Macaroni and Meat)
1 hr 30 mins
A Greek delight. I love pastitso. It's kind of like a Greek lasagne. This recipe takes some time, but it is well worth it! Enjoy. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1/4 lb butter
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 tablespoon salt (I use Kosher)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1Brown onion in the butter then add the meat. Keep stirring until the meat is browned.
- 2Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, tomato paste and water. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed.
- 3Remove from the heat and allow this to cool.
- 4Beat 1 egg very well and add it to the meat mixture.
- 6Cook the macaroni as per the package directions. Then rinse under hot water, drain and put into a large bowl.
- 7Toss the macaroni with the 3 beaten eggs and the 1 3/4°C grated Romano cheese.
- 8White Sauce:.
- 9Melt the butter and add the flour, mix well. This should be done on med-low heat, so you don't burn the butter.
- 10Gradually add the cold milk, stirring well. Cook this until it's thick, stirring often. Be patient, it needs to thicken up! Remove from heat.
- 11After about 5 minutes, while sauce is cooling, beat the 5 egg yolks very well and blend into the sauce. Add the cheese and mix.
- 12Butter a 10" x 14" pan. Put 1/2 of macaroni mix in pan. put meat mixture over the macaroni, spreading evenly. Put the rest of the macaroni mixture on top, also spreading evenly.
- 13Put white sauce all over the top.
- 14Bake at 375 degrees F. for about 45 minutes or until golden brown (you might need to tent it with alum. foil towards the end of cooking).
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastitso (Macaroni and Meat)
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1090.8
- Calories from Fat 632
- Total Fat 70.2 g
- Saturated Fat 36.9 g
- Cholesterol 410.1 mg
- Sodium 1985.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 54.2 g