Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Apparently a hangover cure. Adapted from About.com.
Make and share this Patsas - Greek Tripe Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Cut tripe into small squares or rectangles.
- In a large saucepan, preheat olive oil over medium heat. When hot, sauté onions, garlic, and the tripe.
- Dilute the tomato paste with the red wine and stir until completely blended.
- Add fresh tomatoes to the pan, the tomato paste and wine, and enough water to cover. When it reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper to taste. Simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, adding more (boiling) water as the soup reduces.
- Cooking time will depend on the tripe and the soup:.
- Tripe is done when it pulls apart easily.
- The soup should be thick (not as thick as a stew, but not watery).
- 10 minutes before cooking time is up, add sea salt to taste.
- Serve with red pepper flakes on the side for those who like it hot.