Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Perfect side dish for Greek or Italian casseroles! Or use a Mexican cheese like queso ranchero for Mexican night. Inspired by ZWT.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring pattypan to a boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter over medium heat, stir in flour until smooth and just slightly browned.
- Add milk a little at a time, stirring to incorporate each addition, then add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, temper the beaten egg by adding a spoonful of bechamel and stirring, repeating 3-4 times. Then add the egg mixture to the bechamel and stir.
- PUT TOGETHER:.
- Using a grapefruit knife, cut the top of the pattypan's off leaving a nice "bowl" to fill.
- Remove the stems from the pattypan tops you just cut off, then add the tops to the bechamel sauce and use a potato masher to incorporate.
- Arrange pattypan's in a 9x9 casserole dish and fill with the bechamel mixture, bake for about 30 minutes or until done.
I enjoyed this for supper tonight along with a salad and beans. I scalsed the recipe down for 1 person.Very nice side dish! Thanks for posting!