Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a common meal enjoyed in Greece. It's incredibly delicious, and while it's cooking, the smell will have everyone in the house hanging around the kitchen. I find that the chicken stays moist if it is covered for the the first 20 minutes of baking. Serve with a crisp salad and crusty bread or pita.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish.
- Arrange potatoes and garlic around chicken.
- Mix together lemon juice and olive oil, salt and pepper, and pour evenly over chicken and potatoes.
- Add just enough water until potatoes are almost about covered.
- Cover chicken and pototoes with 2 Tbsps. of oregano.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF. for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, turn chicken; stir potatoes; and sprinkle on remaining oregano.
- If potatoes aren't at least half-covered with liquid, add more water.
- Return to oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Chicken is done when both sides are lightly browned and potatoes are soft.
- Good served with crisp bread or pita.