A lovely dessert from "The Glorious Foods of Greece" by Diane Kochilas. A Lenten specialty (no butter) from Macedonia. I like to add bourbon-soaked raisins (Bourbon (or Rum) Raisins) along with the nuts and cinnamon. These are great for parties.
- Beat together the tahini and sugar at high speed until smooth and creamy--about five minutes.
- As you whip, add the water, as much as you need toget the mixture to the consistency of creamy peanut butter.
- Once mixture is creamy, using a wooden spoon, stir in the walnuts and cinnamon and, if you like, the raisins, and combine well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and lightly oil two sheet pans.
- Open out the phyllo and cut it into three horizontal strips--you will have three piles of 6 inch strips which you will stack together and a damp kitchen towel.
- Take a strip, oil it sparingly, place a second strip on top.
- Place a tablespoon of filling in the bottom center of the double strip, fold in the sides and then roll up to make a tight cylinder.
- Place seam side down on the sheet pan.
- Continue with the remaining phyllo and filling until used up.
- Bake the flute until lightly golden--about ten to twelve minutes.
- Remove and cool slightly, but while still warm, sprinkle generously with confectioners' sugar.
- Store in tins in a cool, dry place--the flutes will keep for about five days (in theory--when I've made them, they've all been eaten right away).
Absolutely delish! I did increase sugar to 2 1/2 cups after tasting the filling. I'm not sure if I got the phyllo instructions right, but they turned out fab, anyway.
I scaled down to 10 pastries which worked to very workable figures. Like cheryl, cut the filo into 4-inch strips. The filling is delicious - never used tahini in this way before. Took them to my mom and she said they were delicious, and she's the pickiest person I know. :-)
good stuff the filling leaked out of mine watch for dark browning lol had trouble with my phyllo dough cause goodnees knows how long it was in store freezer . but still tasted good just not as pretty as yours .dee