1/4 Photos of Polenta Lasagna With Feta and Kale
What's Cooking?'s Note:
This is one of my favorite recipes, full of Mediterranean flavor and high in calcium. It uses pecorino romano, a salty parmesan-like hard cheese made of sheep's milk. I used a goat's milk feta but you can use any type of feta you can find. It calls for lacinato kale (a/k/a dinosaur kale) which is preferable if you can find it - If not, use regular curly-leaf kale. This recipe calls for a tube of pre-made, ready-to-slice polenta which you can find online or at most health food or gourmet food stores and some mainstream groceries. I use the traditional polenta (unflavored) from Food Merchants. If you have the time, you can make polenta from scratch, spread it on a baking sheet in a 1/4" layer while it's still hot, refrigerate it until firm, and use a juice glass to cut small disks out of the polenta. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) package prepared polenta (in a tube)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, shredded
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped finely
- 1 1/4 cups feta cheese, mashed with fork
- extra virgin olive oil, to grease baking pan
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high flame. Sauté onions and rosemary until the onions begin to brown. Add garlic and carrots. Sauté until garlic fragrances the oil, about 2 minutes. Add kale and sauté until tender, then remove pan from heat.
- 3Grease the bottom and sides of a 8x8-inch baking dish. Cut polenta into slices no thicker than 1/4 inch. Line the bottom of the pan with 1/2 of the polenta slices, overlapping them slightly to cover the whole bottom of the pan.
- 4Pour 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce over the polenta and spread it evenly. Distribute mashed feta cheese over the marinara sauce. Scatter olives over the feta, then top with an even layer of the kale mixture. Place the remaining polenta slices in a layer, overlapping slightly. Spread remaining 1/2 cup of marinara sauce. Sprinkle shredded pecorino evenly across the top.
- 5Bake for 25 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is beginning to brown around the edges. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving (use a spatula).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polenta Lasagna With Feta and Kale
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.7
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 28.6 mg
- Sodium 586.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese