1 hr 30 mins
An interesting change from the usual lamb or beef and eggplant moussaka. Adapted from Cuisine Magazine, February 1982. I recommend reducing the amount of salt; the cheese will make it salty enough. This may be assembled several hours in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature 15 minutes before ready to bake. Cook time does not include resting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and cut in 2-inchx1/2-inch strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut in 2-inchx1/2-inch strips
- 2 -3 pickled cherry peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 small onions, halved lengthwise and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided (or to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese, divided (about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice (preferably slightly undercooked)
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add peppers and onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
- 3Saute until vegetables are just softened, about 10 minutes.
- 4Remove and set aside.
- 5Heat remaining oil in same skillet over medium heat.
- 6Add pork and garlic.
- 7Cook, stirring to break up lumps, until meat loses all trace of pink, about 10 minutes.
- 8Add tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 9Remove and set aside.
- 10Preheat oven to 350° F,.
- 11Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 12Stir in flour.
- 13Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- 14Increase heat to medium and whisk in milk.
- 15Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- 16Beat eggs lightly.
- 17Gradually whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture.
- 18Gradually whisk egg mixture back into remaining milk mixture.
- 19Add 1/2 cup Parmesan, remaining salt, and black pepper to taste.
- 20Spread rice in the bottom of a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole or 8" square baking pan.
- 21Spread a few spoonfuls of sauce over rice.
- 22Spoon vegetable mixture over rice.
- 23Spoon pork mixture over vegetables.
- 24Top with remaining sauce and remaining cheese.
- 25Bake until top is puffed and golden, about 1 hour.
- 26Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork, Pepper and Rice Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.6
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 193.0 mg
- Sodium 1138.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 38.4 g