Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are fried potato balls crisp on the outside and creamy soft inside. I used arugula but spinach is just as good!Arugula's pungent flavor adds interest to these croquettes!
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cooked arugula, squeezed of liquid and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄8 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, to fill pan by 3 inches (for frying)
- Combine the first 7 ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Form into 20 golf size balls.
- Place seasoned flour in one bowl.
- Beat 2 eggs with cream and place second bowl.
- Place bread crumbs in third bowl.
- Dip each croquette in the flour then egg and then roll in the crumbs.
- Deep fry in oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels season with salt and pepper.
Hubby LOVED this, Even got an extra kiss :) Crunchy on the outside, soft on the middle too! Will definately be making these again too!
I made these bigger to serve with Chicken. What an awesome recipe I love argula and everything was so good together. I did skip adding egg to the mixture and also the flour for breading but the egg and some whole wheat panko break crumbs worked out just fine I didnt deep fry just lightly fryed in olive oil and little butter and then popped in oven to keep warm before serving. Will def make these again both me and hubby loved Thanks Rita!
These have wonderful flavor! I had a hard time in cooking them however. My deep fryer was at 325 so I know the oil was hot enough. The balls simply wouldn't hold together and several disintegrated completely. I used frozen spinach (thawed & squeezed dry) and formed the balls smaller than golf balls. I will try these again, but try thickening them a bit more or maybe I will shape into small patties and see if that works better for me. Thank you Rita for sharing a tasty recipe!