Just got back from a trip to Greece! I thought I knew what Greek salad was until I ordered one and got this concoction devoid of lettuce... haha. But it turned out to be my absolute favorite dish there and I ordered it many times. The key is to have the very freshest ingredients, including the feta. This makes a main dish for one person, or a side dish to share between 2 or 3. Easily fits into many special diets.
- 1 medium tomato, halved and thickly sliced (add another if serving more than one person)
- 1 cucumber, sliced to 1/4 inch (peeling is optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and seeded, sliced into rings
- 1 -2 slice red onion, separated into rings
- 5 -10 kalamata olives
- 1⁄4 lb Greek feta cheese, sliced thickly
- dried greek oregano (Rigani)
- top quality extra virgin olive oil
- Arrange all vegetables, prepared as listed, on a serving platter.
- Top with Greek feta slices.
- Sprinkle liberally with Greek oregano.
- Serve EVOO on the side for those who enjoy a drizzle of it.
- Eat and enjoy!