1/1 Photo of Revani (Greek Cake using Semolina)
1 hr 5 mins
This is a lovely greek cake using semolina. The texture is coarser due to the semolina than what you're probably used to, but it is delicious and toothsome. Soaked in a light syrup and served with some whipped cream on the side, it is a dessert worthy of any occasion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 orange zest, of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup semolina or 1 cup cream of wheat
- 1/2 cup blanched and slivered almonds (good) (optional)
For the Syrup
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2Butter and flour a 13 X 9 inch pyrex baking pan.
- 3Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4In large electric mixer bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- 5Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- 6Continue beating until very stiff and glossy.
- 7Set meringue aside.
- 8Beat egg yolks, remaining sugar, and butter until very light and fluffy.
- 9Add orange rind and vanilla.
- 10Beat in dry ingredients alternately (slowly, on a low speed) with orange juice and semolina until incorporated.
- 11Fold in meringue.
- 12Turn into prepared pan and sprinkle with almonds.
- 13Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until it tests done.
- 15For syrup: Boil sugar, water and cinnamon stick for 8 minutes.
- 16Add brandy and remove cinnamon stick.
- 17Pour hot syrup over cooled cake.
- 18Cool and cut into squares.
- 19Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Revani (Greek Cake using Semolina)
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.5
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 133.4 mg
- Sodium 283.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 54.9 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: