Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A moist semolina cake.
Make and share this Revani (Greek Semolina Cake) recipe from Food.com.
For the cake
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup fine semolina (or Farina)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated (reserve whites)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
For the syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- powdered sugar
- ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched, lightly toasted, and chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9"x13" pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, semolina, and baking powder.
- Use a mixer to cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer still running, add the eggs one by one. Continue mixing until a light yellow color.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Clean the beaters and whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the batter until just incorporated. The best way to do this carefully is to add the eggs in thirds.
- Pour the batter into the pan, using the spatula to smooth it out, and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by adding the water, sugar, and orange peel to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and allow to cool.
- Once the cake has finished baking, pour the syrup over it while the cake is still warm.
- When the cake has cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar, cinnamon, and the almonds.