Chickpeas are so good done in this simple pilaf. This is 'wetter' than a regular pilaf as this type of cooking in Greece closely resembles a risotto.
- Cook onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add rice and stir to coat with oil.
- Cook rice in oil for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat water and add saffron.
- Add water to rice along with the tomato puree and chickpeas.
- Season to taste.
- Cook, at a slow simmer, for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in lemon juice.