Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This salad also needs to stand at room temp for one hour before serving -- not in estimated prep time. Recipe source: Redbook (June 2010)
- 6 medium beets, cut off tops of the beets and washed (red and golden)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 orange, slices and then cut into small triangles
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap beets separately in foil and then roast them for 1 hour until tender. Cool to room temperature and then peel the beets and cut them into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a large serving bowl whisk together dressing ingredients (oil - allspice) and then add the beets, olives and oranges to the bowl and toss.
- Let marinate one hour at room temperature before serving.
- Add mint and toss again.
I really loved the contrast between the sweetness of the beets and the tartness of the vinaigrette.
pretty salad i used canned beets ,its cooler that way zwt 9
Very nice tasting salad, even though I did leave out the mint! I really do love the taste of beets & in this salad the combo of flavors is especially satisfying! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for tagging in PRMR during the recent Tic-Tac-Toe event]