1/1 Photo of Roasted Garlic and Tomato Soup
This is a robust, full bodied soup that can stand on its own as a meal. From the cookbook Caprial Cafe Favorites. Caprial is a restaurant owner, television chef and a mother of two small children.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs tomatoes (medium)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots (or 1 small red onion)
- 2 sprigs rosemary (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 tbls. dried)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese (to garnish, or goat cheese)
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 2Place the tomatoes, garlic, shallots, rosemary, and thyme in a 9x11" baking dish. Cover with the olive oil. Bake until the tomatoes begiin to brown, 15-20 minutes.
- 3Using a slotted spoon, transfer this mixture to a heavy stockpot and add the liquid from the baking dish. Add the vegetable stock and simmer over medium heat until the tomatoes and the liquid are reduced by one third, about 15-20 minutes.
- 4Add the balsamic viniegar, basil, black pepper, and salt and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Puree in a blender or in batches in a food processor.
- 5Strain the soup through a sieve into a tureen or soup bowl.
- 6Serve hot, topped with freshly grated Parmesan or goat cheese. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Garlic and Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.1
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: