I've tried a lot of hummus recipes but this is the first one that came close to Sabra - my favorite brand. I adapted this recipe from one I found online at a blog by Jonah Lisa. She states that it is the order in which the ingredients are combined that makes the hummus so creamy in the end. I don't know how true that is but I follow her method and always end up with great stuff that rivals my favorite brand. I use my blender but I'm sure a food processor would work great too. (The original recipe can be found at http://thetobyshow.typepad.com/the_toby_show/2008/03/the-secret-of-r.html#)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine tahini and lemon juice and blend until smooth and frothy.
- 2Add garlic and salt and blend again.
- 3Add olive oil and 1/3 can of chickpeas and blend until smooth.
- 4As you incorporate the rest of the chickpeas, add small amounts of the reserved chickpea liquid to thin the mixture to allow easy blending.
- 5You will know when the consistency is right when the mixture moves thickly but easily inside the blender.
- 6When everything is incorporated and the consistency allows for easy blending, leave the blender on for a minute. This is a good time to add any additional spices to taste. I love the addition of smoked paprika and a dash of cumin. You may also want to add more garlic, kalamata olives, jalapenos, pine nuts, roasted red peppers, or anything that strikes your fancy.
- 7Serve with toasted pita bread, wheat crackers, tortilla chips and/or vegetables.
- 8Hope you enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rockin' Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.3
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 307.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.3 g