Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Before coming to Zaar I seldom cooked lamb. Now I fix it often. This recipe was in one of those supermarket booklets. I made a couple of changes and we loved the results. The cooking time includes the time needed to allow the roast to marinade in the refrigerator.
- Rinse the lamb under running water, blot dry.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, make several pockets at random intervals in the meat.
- Put a sliver of garlic in each, roll the meat into a roll and tie with cooking twine.
- Mix the mustard, rosemary and black pepper together.
- Rub over the outside of the rolled meat, wrap meat in foil and place in refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, place the roast on meat rack in shallow roasting pan and insert meat thermometer into thickest part of roast.
- Add approximately 1 cup of warm water to bottom of roasting pan, the roast should rest on rack above the water.
- Place roast in preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 325 degrees and continue roasting for 20 minutes per pound for medium or until meat thermometer registers 145 degrees. If you like your lamb well done, you will need to adjust the cooking time to suit your taste.
- Remove the roast from the oven and cover with foil allowing to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- While meat is resting, warm about 1/2 cup of mint jelly.
- Slice into 10 equal portions and serve with warmed jelly.
Used fresh garlic from my brother's garden and fresh rosemary from my herb garden. Local free range lamb, too! The leftovers were used astutely in this recipe: Fiesta Tacos to resounding success! Reviewed for ZWT 8.
We did extra garlic and a mix of fresh and dried rosemary. Enjoyed by all for our first lamb roast
I personally don't like lamb but the rest of my family does so I decided to try this recipe. I used a leg with a bone in it and it still turned out wonderful. I also used extra garlic which made it taste even better. I marinated it in the fridge overnight and i think it helped with the flavor. It turned out very moist with great flavor! This is a great recipe for someone who has never made lamb before because it is so easy!