Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. The ingredients in this salad are typical for Greece. It's a great side dish for any fish or grilled meats, alternatively serve with crusty white bread for a light lunch. This is for two people, but you can easily increase the amounts.
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts, sliced (scallion)
- 10 green olives
- 10 black olives
- 2 -3 tablespoons capers
- 7 ounces feta cheese, broken into chunks (more if you like)
- fresh basil, roughly chopped (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- Cut the tomatoes and cucumber into bite-sized pieces.
- Place into bowl and add, spring onion, capers and olives.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar (if using) and season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and oregano to taste.
- Set aside and let flavours fuse for about ten to fifteen minutes, carefully stirring once or twice.
- Add the feta and stir once more.
- If you want you can sprinkle the salad with freshly chopped basil leaves.
- Serve immidiatly.
- Kali orexi!