Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a really beautiful pie and does have a great rustic look about it. Delicious served hot or cold.
- 1 (450 g) packet frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 1 sheet ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 g halloumi cheese, grated (see note)
- 120 g feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- lemon wedge, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderately hot 200oC (400oF).
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach.
- Place the pastry sheet on a baking tray and spread the spinach in the middle, leaving a 3cm (1 1/4 inch) border.
- Sprinkle the garlic over the spinach and pile the haloumi and feta on top.
- Sprinkle with oregano and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut a short slit into each corner of the pastry sheet, then tuck each side of the pastry over to form a border around the filling.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and carefully pour the egg mixture over the spinach filling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the filling is set.
- Cut into four portions and serve with lemon wedges and a green salad.
- Note: If haloumi cheese is not available use all feta instead.
Really enjoyed this, used dried oregano instead of fresh. Presentation looks great.
I've made this several times, now and this pie is definitely in my "keeper" file. It's easy to put together so I can make it on weekdays for dinner and pretty and yummy enough for company.
Like another reviewer, I also use all feta. I use frozen, thawed, squeezed spinach that I dry off quickly in a pan with a generous amount of garlic and a mix of herbs like herbes de provence.
We LOVED this, as did my Grandmother, who was over for dinner. I wasn't sure exactly what a shortcrust pastry was...I used two refrigerated pie crusts that I pressed together a bit. I cooked my own spinach down from fresh and next time would cook the garlic in with it as I found it a bit harsh. I also used all feta cheese. Overall, a WONDERFUL recipe and VERY easy to make. Thanks so much!!!