Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Greek style fried cheese appetizer. Kasseri cheese is traditional but Mozzarella can be substituted in a pinch if you can't find kasseri cheese in your area.
- 8 ounces kasseri cheese
- flour (for dredging)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- fresh cherry tomatoes
- pita bread, wedges
- kalamata olive
- Soak the cheese in Ouzo and dredge in flour.
- Heat olive oil until almost smoking.
- Sauté cheese and brown about 1 minute on each side.
- Flame with more Ouzo.
- Transfer to serving platter and squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle oregano and salt and pepper.
- Serve with pita bread, olives and tomatoes.
The whole family loves this. It's very easy and makes a huge impact. make sure to serve with a good sesame coated crusty bread. Make sure to flmae at the table and shout OHPA!
I love this dish...not only does it taste good, but the presentation is alot of fun with all the fire. I screwed it up because I used a piece of cheese that was too thick...will learn for next time.