Salmon is high in protein and Omega-3 fatty acids content and to its overall low fat levels making it a healthier alternative as a sandwich filling. These are delicious alone or served with fresh vegetable sticks and dip.
- 1 (3 ounce) flavor fresh pouch salmon
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pita bread rounds
- 1 large roma tomato, sliced thin
- 3 -4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 12 slices seedless cucumber (thin slices)
- In a small bowl, mix together the eggs, mayonnaise, green onions, dill and lemon zest.
- Cut pita rounds in half and divide the salmon-egg mixture evenly between the 4 pockets.
- Stuff with lettuce leaves, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Top with some fresh ground black pepper and enjoy!
I love egg salad and I really like salmon so I knew I would like this combination. Only change I made was to use lowfat mayo and no fresh dill at this time of the year so had to use my dried stash. Can't wait to make this again in the summer when I think it would be great on a hot, summer night.
I love salmon salad, and egg salad, and what a great combination this made. I used a 6 oz can of salmon, so I used 4 eggs, 1/2 cup mayo, 1 green onion and 2 tsps dill weed. I used a little lemon zest, but probably only about 1 tsp for the double batch. I snuck a taste and loved the combination, but I always like mayo salads after the flavors meld overnight, so I'm sure it will be even better tomorrow. The dill just takes this over the top! I'll be eating this on a slice of lettuce instead of in a sandwich.
When I saw this recipe last nite, I knew what I was having for lunch today. I love pita sandwiches for lunch & live where fresh salmon abounds at a reasonable price, so I used leftover marinated & grilled salmon. I added 1 tsp tiny Spanish capers & used ranch dressing I made from Texas Ranch Dressing by Miss Annie instead of the mayo. It was so good! Unless served w/soup, a salad or fruit on the side, I do not agree that half a pita sandwich is a serving. The salmon mixture seemed just right for 2 sml pitas, but I easily ate 2 halves & am struggling to resist the 2 halves I saved for DH. Thx for a great lunch!