Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless salmon fillets, bones removed
- vegetable oil (for fish and grill)
- 6 pita bread rounds
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber
- 1 (9 ounce) container plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- salt and pepper
- For the sauce, cut the cucumber in half and spoon out and discard the seeds.
- Grate the cucumber, squeeze out excess liquid and put it in a medium bowl with the yogurt, mint and garlic.
- Stir to mix, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill until needed.
- The longer the sauce sits, the more flavor it will have; it will keep for up to 3 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in a bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- Combine the oregano, mint, fennel, seed, salt and pepper in a small bowl; stir to mix.
- Rinse the salmon and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the salmon into slices about 1/2 inch thick and 1inch wide; you should have about 12 slices.
- Lightly brush one side of the salmon strips with oil and sprinkle half the herb mixture over the salmon, pressing gently so the herbs stick.
- Turn and repeat on the other side with the remaining herb mix.
- Thread the salmon strips onto skewers, weaving them back and forth, making a ribbon pattern.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before cooking, allowing the salmon to absorb the flavors of the herbs.
- Preheat the grill to high, or heat coals until they glow red with white ash around the edges.
- Rub a lightly oiled towel or cloth over the grill, add the salmon skewers and cook until opaque and lightly browned on one side, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the skewers and continue cooking until the salmon is opaque through (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Serve two salmon skewers on each piece of pita bread, drizzled with the tzatziki sauce and sprinkled with tomato.
- Before eating, fold the pita bread around the salmon, hold securely and gently pull out the skewers.