My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless salmon fillets, bones removed
- vegetable oil (for fish and grill)
- 6 pita bread rounds
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1For the sauce, cut the cucumber in half and spoon out and discard the seeds.
- 2Grate the cucumber, squeeze out excess liquid and put it in a medium bowl with the yogurt, mint and garlic.
- 3Stir to mix, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Chill until needed.
- 5The longer the sauce sits, the more flavor it will have; it will keep for up to 3 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
- 6If using bamboo skewers, soak them in a bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- 7Combine the oregano, mint, fennel, seed, salt and pepper in a small bowl; stir to mix.
- 8Rinse the salmon and pat dry with paper towels.
- 9Cut the salmon into slices about 1/2 inch thick and 1inch wide; you should have about 12 slices.
- 10Lightly brush one side of the salmon strips with oil and sprinkle half the herb mixture over the salmon, pressing gently so the herbs stick.
- 11Turn and repeat on the other side with the remaining herb mix.
- 12Thread the salmon strips onto skewers, weaving them back and forth, making a ribbon pattern.
- 13Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before cooking, allowing the salmon to absorb the flavors of the herbs.
- 14Preheat the grill to high, or heat coals until they glow red with white ash around the edges.
- 15Rub a lightly oiled towel or cloth over the grill, add the salmon skewers and cook until opaque and lightly browned on one side, about 3 minutes.
- 16Turn the skewers and continue cooking until the salmon is opaque through (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- 17Serve two salmon skewers on each piece of pita bread, drizzled with the tzatziki sauce and sprinkled with tomato.
- 18Before eating, fold the pita bread around the salmon, hold securely and gently pull out the skewers.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon Thessaloniki
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.8
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 436.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 31.4 g