This is one of my own creations, we rather enjoy it in a gyro. Not as "meaty" as a real one (of course) but still quite nice. - Cooking Time does not include cooling time
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄8 cups vital wheat gluten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blend the onion, garlic, rosemary, basil, oregano, pepper, toasted sesame oil, tahini, salt, and soy sauce together in a food processor.
- Add the water to the food pro and continue to blend the mix until smooth.
- Put the gluten in a large bowl, and add the liquid ingredients. Stir well and knead for a few minutes. Add more gluten if it seems to wet.
- Form into a log and wrap tightly with aluminum foil, twisting at the ends. Bake for 60 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Once done baking, let it cool completely. Slice thinly and lightly fry on each side; use as desired.