This is one of my own creations, we rather enjoy it in a gyro. Not as "meaty" as a real one (of course) but still quite nice. - Cooking Time does not include cooling time
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blend the onion, garlic, rosemary, basil, oregano, pepper, toasted sesame oil, tahini, salt, and soy sauce together in a food processor.
- Add the water to the food pro and continue to blend the mix until smooth.
- Put the gluten in a large bowl, and add the liquid ingredients. Stir well and knead for a few minutes. Add more gluten if it seems to wet.
- Form into a log and wrap tightly with aluminum foil, twisting at the ends. Bake for 60 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Once done baking, let it cool completely. Slice thinly and lightly fry on each side; use as desired.
This was pretty good, I did change a few things though. To keep it from tasting too "peanut buttery" I only put 2 tsp of tahini. And to give it a more authentic greecian flavor I used full flavor olive oil instead of toasted sesame. I also replaced the soy with 2 tsp of braggs aminos and 1 tsp a olive juice from a jar of kalumet olives. I added 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and subbed 1 tsp pink peppercorn for the 1/2 tsp of black pepper. finally i steamed it in a foil envelope instead of baking it. Scrumptious. Tastes perfect with Vegan Dad's tzatziki sauce and fresh homemade pita bread!