1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My Mother's side of the family is from Siracusa, Sicily, where there is a lot of Greek influence in the cooking. Serafina was my Great Aunt and this was her 'signature dish'. We never had a 'recipe' for this dish until my Mom and I decided to write it down recently. You can shortcut this recipe by using left over broth and chicken from the last pot of chicken soup you've made. Just skip down to the frying pan directions. (I'm totally guessing on the prep/cook time... if you're using leftover chicken soup, cut about an hour off the cook time) We even eat this cold!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chickens or 1 whole chicken piece (approx. lbs.)
- 3 quarts cold water (to cover chicken)
- 2 1/2 cups celery, divided
- 1 cup carrot, cut in chunks
- 2 medium onions (divided)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup green olives, removed from the pits
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1Place chicken in pot with cold water, slowly bring to a simmer.
- 2Skim the foam that rises to the surface as the chicken simmers.
- 3When the foam stops rising to the surface (approx 20 minutes of simmering) add 1 cup (approx) of celery cut into chunks, the carrot and one onion cut into quarters, bay leaf and parsley.
- 4Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced by more than one half and chicken is falling off the bone.
- 5Remove vegetables and bay leaf and discard.
- 6Take chicken off the bone, discard bones and skin and break large pieces of chicken up into bite sized pieces.
- 7In a large frying pan sauté garlic and diced medium onion until softened (2-3 minutes).
- 8Add remaining 1 ½ c celery that also has been diced and olives.
- 9Saute an additional 2-3 minutes.
- 10Add chicken, 4 cups of the reserved broth and vinegar.
- 11Simmer until celery is crisp-tender approximately 15-20 minutes.
- 12When serving drizzle with the remaining olive oil and black pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Serafina's Chicken and Olives
Serving Size: 1 (779 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.6
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 514.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 29.6 g