1/3 Photos of Sesame Koulourakia (Biscuits)
1 hr 20 mins
This is a kind of biscuit made in Greece with baking ammonia - I believe you can find this in drugstores in North America. Light and high-rising, not too sweet. A rather 'plain' kind of biscuit that is well-suited for dunking in coffee or tea. The number of biscuits I mention is arbitrary. It really depends on the shapes you're making and how large or small you make them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter with sugar until fluffy and quite pale-coloured (about 5-6 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time. Dissolve baking ammonia in the milk and add milk to the butter/egg mixture.
- 2Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla and mix until you have a pliable dough that doesn't stick to the sides of the mixing bowl (you may need to add a bit more flour as this recipe is from metric and actually calls for a kilo of flour which equals 2.2 lbs).
- 3Shape the dough into whatever shapes you desire. In Greece, we shape it into rings, snails, Ss, braids - you are only limited by your imagination. Do try to keep the shape down to a size that will comfortably fit into your coffee cup for dunking though - and remember - they'll puff up in baking. Brush shapes with water and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds. Place on greased cookie sheets, or parchment-lined cookie sheets, or silpat.
- 4Bake in a preheated 375F (180C) oven for 15-20 moinutes, or until golden-brown.
- 5Store in an airtight container.
- 6Note: If you can find a 'soft' flour, suited for pastry-making, you'll have a more authentic koulouraki.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sesame Koulourakia (Biscuits)
Serving Size: 1 (2288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1510.1
- Calories from Fat 711
- Total Fat 79.1 g
- Saturated Fat 35.0 g
- Cholesterol 268.6 mg
- Sodium 523.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 172.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 31.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: