1/3 Photos of Shazam! Shrimp With Mediterranean Orzo
Pot Scrubber's Note:
"SHAZAM! this shrimp is good!" is what one dinner guest said when I served this at a small dinner party to test this recipe. This is created for a romantic dinner for two. Easy prep that can be done ahead of time and the smell of the flash pan-seared shrimp will drive your dinner companion wild. Created for RSC #7. ETA- I designed this dish to be SIMPLE to make for inexperienced cooks. You could certainly make it much more gourmet by roasting the peppers and using fresh tomatoes and herbs. It won't hurt my feelings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb very large shrimp (fresh or frozen 13-15 ct. per pound, deveined and shelled with tails intact)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning (or 1/2 TSP each dried oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and sage)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped into course chunks)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 8 kalamata olives (chopped)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes (drained and tomatoes cut in half)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1Give your date a peck on the cheek. Repeat as often as necessary.
- 2In a bowl toss shrimp, olive oil, Italian seasoning, and garlic and let marinade for thirty minutes.
- 3In a sauce pan- bring six cups of water and chicken bouillon powder to a boil.
- 4Add chopped yellow bell pepper and one cup of orzo and cook according to package directions until tender then drain.
- 5Return drained orzo back to sauce pan and fold in capers, olives, and cut tomatoes. Cover with lid to keep warm.
- 6In a heavy, lightly oiled hot skillet, cook shrimp 2 minutes per side (DO NOT OVER COOK THIS SHRIMP!)and remove shrimp immediately to a plate tented with foil to keep warm.
- 7Deglaze pan with chicken stock and sherry and boil until alcohol has evaporated (about 90 seconds or until you can no longer smell the alcohol)Pour this into 2 small ramekins to use as a dipping sauce for some hot buttered crusty French Bread.
- 8Divide orzo between 2 plates and top with each with half of the shrimp. Sprinkle with one lime wedge apiece and place another lime wedge on each plate as garnish.
- 9Eat until you explode and be prepared for grateful kisses from your date.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shazam! Shrimp With Mediterranean Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (782 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 985.5
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 347.2 mg
- Sodium 1923.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 62.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning