1/3 Photos of Shrimp Sahanaki with Greek Cheeses and Tomatoes
1 hr 5 mins
This is a fantastic Greek appetizer/main dish. Serve with a glass of chilled white wine and lots of bread for the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb tomato, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup ouzo
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces kasseri cheese, cut in ½ inch cubes (use gouda at a pinch)
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- fresh crusty bread
- 1Heat 1/3 cup oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and sauté until golden-brown, about 12 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, 4 tblsps parsley, garlic, cayenne and ouzo.
- 4Season to taste.
- 5Bring to boil.
- 6Reduce heat, cover and simmer until sauce thickens, about 25 minutes.
- 7Add shrimp to sauce and cook for a further 6-8 minutes, until shrimp are cooked through.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Sprinkle feta, kasseri and parsley over and cover with lid of saucepan.
- 10Allow to sit for 5 minutes, until cheeses have started melting.
- 11Give a gentle stir to distribute cheeses and distribute amongst serving plates.
- 12Use crusty bread to dip into the delicious sauce.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Sahanaki with Greek Cheeses and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (851 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 789.5
- Calories from Fat 480
- Total Fat 53.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 398.5 mg
- Sodium 1029.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 57.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: