This is a fantastic Greek appetizer/main dish. Serve with a glass of chilled white wine and lots of bread for the sauce.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb tomato, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup ouzo
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces kasseri cheese, cut in ½ inch cubes (use gouda at a pinch)
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- fresh crusty bread
- Heat 1/3 cup oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until golden-brown, about 12 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, 4 tblsps parsley, garlic, cayenne and ouzo.
- Season to taste.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until sauce thickens, about 25 minutes.
- Add shrimp to sauce and cook for a further 6-8 minutes, until shrimp are cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle feta, kasseri and parsley over and cover with lid of saucepan.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes, until cheeses have started melting.
- Give a gentle stir to distribute cheeses and distribute amongst serving plates.
- Use crusty bread to dip into the delicious sauce.