This dish, served over hot rice or orzo, has white wine, lemon juice, olive oil and wonderful herbs. You may use dried herbs or fresh. Double the amount of herbs if using fresh. The feta cheese is sprinkled on top. Posted for ZWT 4.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- parsley (to garnish)
- Cook and stir onions and garlic in oil in large skillet over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Stir in wine, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper and tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and lemon juice. Cover and cook until shrimp is pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- Serve with hot cooked rice or orzo pasta.
Thank you for the recipe, Mary. This is delicious and has become a regular dish at my house. It's also nice for dinner guests.
Delicious thanks Mary. I made a half recipe, but still used all the garlic and feta cheese. I used a hot red chilli instead of the ground red pepper-it had the perfect amount of heat fr us.
This has a nice flavor, somewhat different shrimp recipe, but I liked the change. Served it with a Greek salad. I served it over orzo pasta.