Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe I got from my daughters Greek friend. She made this we all enjoyed it so much I just had to have the recipe.
- 1 large onion (chopped )
- 2 garlic cloves (minced )
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash red pepper
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes (drained & chopped )
- 1 lb raw shrimp (shelled and deveined )
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- In a large pan saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender.
- Stir in the wine, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper and tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp and lemon juice.
- Cover and cook until shrimp is pink (3-5 minutes).
- Sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
It is a great dish with a lot of flavor. I used a 28-oz can of diced tomatoes but drained the liquid before putting it in. Next time I am going to try fresh tomatoes; will be more favorful. I love feta cheese and I would add twice the amount. All in all, excellent dish..definitely a 5-star receipe!
Very tasty indeed, but this did not in the least surprise me as it was the list of ingredients that had first drawn me to this recipe. I used a can of tomatoes (Aldi's excellent Italian tomatoes) and I omitted the "dash (of) red pepper" because I'm not sure quite what that meant and because it sounded like something hot and spicy, which I don't like. For us, this recipe was wonderfully flavoursome just as I made it. We ate it with noodles. Of course we loved the shrimps, but we also loved everything else in the dish: a great blend of flavours. I'm thinking that I'll make this again with canned salmon, which would make for a wonderfully quick and easy mid-week meal! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Marlitt!
This was very nice and I served it over a bed of noodles. Served with salad and a crusty bread. This was made for a Romantic Greek dinner in ZWT4 for the Chic Chefs.